orange

Monday, November 15, 2010

Trick-or-Treat!


Okay so I am finally getting around to writing about Halloween. I made the kids costumes this year. Riley's was quite simple. He wanted to be a ninja, so I just made a karate vest for him and bought him sweat pants to wear underneath. Than, on-line, I found this cool way to put the ninja wrap around his head. All I had to use was a long-sleeved shirt. The only problem I ran into with his wrap was that the shirt was a little big, so it didn't want to stay. He wanted to be a blue ninja and it was the only blue long-sleeved shirt I could find that would work.

Abbie's costume was a totally different story. She wanted to be a ninja until I tried the head wrap on her, and than she changed he mind. She decided to be a pink 'Super Abbie.' It was my own fault that I ended up having troubles with the costume. I decided to skip a step and paid for it. I didn't want to try the pattern on Abbie. I figured if I just went by the measurements according to the pattern I would be fine, big mistake. I got the fabric all cut out and had sewn that bodice part of the pattern to together (thank goodness I hadn't gotten farther). This included sewing the applique onto it as well. Than I tried the bodice on her. Well what to my surprise, it was to short and to tight. This should not have surprised me one bit, considering my daughter has a long torso, and was blessed with my broad shoulders. Luckily I had bought extra material and had enough to cut out new bodice pieces. The most frustrating parts were trying to figure out how to make the applique work, and trying to make the skirt fit the larger bodice. I didn't have enough material to cut out new skirt pieces. I ended up adding strips to the sides. After I was done, I wish I had just gathered the top, but I was not changing it at that point. I also, did not want to start over on the applique. I ended up cutting it out of the old bodice and sewing it onto the new one and it turned out fine. The costume wasn't perfect. The most important part is that Abbie loves it. Besides it was dark for most of our trick-or-treating adventures so nobody could see the mistakes.


On Friday, we took the kids trick-or-treating to the stores down town. I hesitated doing this because it was a nightmare the year before. We decided to give it a try, if there were to many people we would leave. It wasn't nearly as bad as the year before.
You can see that the ninja wrap was to big. Riley had a hard time seeing out of it. When I first tried it out, it was with a smaller shirt and worked a lot better.



Friday night we went to the church for some fun trunk-or-treating. The kids had fun, but didn't want to go for to long. They wanted to mostly hand out candy at our van. Terry got a little frustrated because everyone kept giving him their candy to hand out instead of setting up their own vans.

On Saturday the high school was having a trunk-or-treat as well. The different clubs set up cars to hand out candy. They also had a couple of haunted houses. I wasn't to excited to go to this because it was raining, but Riley and Abbie really wanted to go to the haunted barn. Than Abbie was scared to go into the barn, so we waited outside. The funny thing is she wanted to go to the other haunted house they had in the auditorium. She did pretty well with it until the very end. At the end you had to open a door to exit, and for some reason she didn't want to open the door.

At church the next day they found out that their babysitter had been involved in the haunted house and they were excited about this. They love their babysitter and are always asking when we are going out again so they can have her over.
Abbie waiting for Terry and Riley outside the haunted barn


Riley and Terry coming out of the haunted barn.



Riley having fun at the FFA station. Abbie didn't want to wait in line for this one so we moved on.


We didn't plan on doing anything for Halloween on Sunday except hand out candy. Than I remembered that our next door neighbors would have something special for the kids, so we got them dressed up and took them over. It is a good thing we did. They are wonderful neighbors and always do special things for my kids.
Abbie and Riley going over the our next door neighbors house.
Abbie holding the special treat from our next door neighbors.



One last picture with their pumpkins.



Abbie laid out all her candy and organized it. I remember doing this when I was little. She loves candy and would have eaten it all at once if I had let her. We let them have a few pieces and than put it up. They can than have a couple of pieces each day until it is all gone.

No comments: